There are a few things that bother me about the NHL, and being a blogger of this great sport, I just can’t let it go. Of course what bugs me, may not bug others so I urge other bloggers to come up with their own list.
These are just 5 things I think should change about the game.
1. Move teams from unpopular cities to metropolitans that actually want a team. If the city of Pittsburgh doesn’t want to buy a new stadium for the Penguins and the team can’t make money at the igloo, move. Simple as that. There are too many markets both in the United States and Canada that would gladly flip the bill and embrace a team.
2. Kill the restricted area for goaltenders. Why do we continue to penalize goaltenders' skill of handling the puck? Allow goaltenders to be apart of their offense.
3. Slim the divisional games to 6 instead of 8. This will open more inter-conference play and every team can play every team.
4. Find a spot in the desert, dig a hole and put Barry Melrose in it (file photo). We are trying to attract fans, not scare them away with a god awful mullet and the cheapest purple pinstripe suit ever constructed.
5. Push for NBC to carry a few games at the beginning of the season instead of waiting until January. What does NBC have to play right now besides Notre Dame games? There is no basketball and they only have Sunday Night Football. Putting the early season games on may push more casual observers to at least start paying attention, and not to Barry.
So those would be the 5 things I wish the NHL would do or change. It’s not much, but it’s a start. What 5 things would you change about the NHL?